Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Canberra: Turner and Portraits in a day.


I don't know what I am standing in front of. I think it's Questacon. Looks like a pink squid on the corner of the roof.

I went to Canberra on Saturday with some friends and we went to the Turner exhibition. I picked up a pride and prejudice board book in the NGA bookshop for $11 (teaches babies to count using P&P). After lunch we went to the portrait gallery which was great. So interesting. Laid out chronologically. All the portraits have a little biography with them so you find a name you recognise like barrington, cos there are mountains named after him, and then you find out that he was a pickpocket who joined the circus, got caught several times but usually talked his way out of it until finally he was transported to NSW where he got good behaviour and became a policeman and got promoted up the ranks like a respectable person. But he died quite young and apparently lunatic. The bookshop in the portrait gallery is brilliant. It's got lots of books on design, architecture, food, and also much cool stationery. But it's very expensive so I didn't buy anything. Because I should write on the stationery I own first, and read my books.

No comments: