Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book craft.


Ta-da! A beautiful picture frame made out of a book. I put a postcard in it for demonstration. I think it looks pretty awesome and I could totally make a million dollars selling them on Etsy. Bring me your quaint hardcover books, people!


You can see by the tag and stamps it is just an old cancelled library book, I found it in my parents book shelves when I cleared it out of the bad books. I saved this pile which had nice shabby covers under the paper covers.


My mum lent me her ruler and knife which cuts at a 45 angle for picture framing. The books were pretty difficult to cut through, the cardboard was thicker than framing cardboard and the books were a bit too small for the big ruler to get a good grip on, so it was a bit rough and wobbly, but they all still look really good. What I need is a drill, so that I can thread string through the back cover and tape it to the front, to hold the books closed when they are hanging on the wall.


I also did a little bit of painting. The deck chairs will hopefully be Sarah's wedding present, although I had a better idea last night maybe, and I have wanted to paint a swallow for ages, and it was fun. I might frame it in one of my books.

3 comments:

cyberiagirl said...

Oh, you really should sell them on Etsy or madeit! It's not like people aren't used to postage on books! :)

Ali said...

Oh, I do like these! Of course I have some angst about the mutilation of books, being a bibliophile of sorts, but there are some I could bear to slice up!

Jessica said...

Thanks girls! Let me disclaim that I carefully evaluate each book for readability, and none of these were special. Example: an abridged Oliver Twist. Abridging is a form of book desecration for a start. The World of Cats. The best one was a Norman Lindsy story with pictures, and I may have a better use for the pictures than sitting in a book.