Wednesday, August 17, 2016

July. Christmas, wedding hair and skiing.

Blogging is something I like to do when I download photos off my phone and reflect on the memories. It’s unfortunate when I have a run of full weekends and I have no time to do it, the job gets bigger and less enjoyable and more of an obligation, but I’m going to still do it anyway even if it happens only monthly. 

The first thing that I’m pleased to rediscover from July photos is the Christmas dinner party that a couple at church had. It was unusually fun. Pretty much all church things have an element of duty to them, everything is an opportunity to talk to a new person or care for someone. This dinner was duty free. When I looked at the invite list on Facebook I thought “oh, those are all fun people!” and the atmosphere on the night was rare, it was an excitement to be with each other. It’s not that we are all best mates, in fact we’re all spread through different home groups and always doing various duties, so we literally never hang out. We had secret santa, roast pork, christmas pudding, decorations, home made bon bons, the whole wonderful thing.



Next, I played in the church bush band. Pretty much only morning church people went. I did get to dance a couple of songs when not playing, but it was touch and go and I was super fragile until I had a partner.


These are some flowers that have dried nicely out of a bunch Denise sent me when I was sick. Very delicate and pretty.


JK's birthday dinner, which was just her housemates and myself on a Tuesday night, but we headed into Honeysuckle and had cheap schnitzels and expensive beers and free giggles. She already had a 10th Xn Bday recently which was a big deal with a big group.


I've been doing a lot of hair work. This is my excellent curls for a wedding, which I did with my hair straightener. SO PROUD.


I treated myself to a new dress for the wedding, because I've worn the same one for a long time. Also new shoes, because I got rid of my bridesmaid heels, and I bought some really lovely and comfortable flats from Ziera. This is my home group mob.


It was a daytime wedding, and when I got home at 4pm I pretty much showered, threw my stuff in the car, and left for my holiday. I was so tired after the wedding I cried in the car. Saturday night in Goulburn with my parents, gave dad his 60th birthday present, then onwards. I went with Emma and her parents to ski in Perisher, we stayed in Jindabyne. 


We had half a week of bad weather before it fined up for skiing, so we did low-key stuff like driving up to see snow, cafes, etc.


A highlight was visiting Cooma, buying sudoku books at Percy's, having excellent berry bread in a cafe, and visiting the Birdsnest shop, which you can do online shopping in the shop! You click in the online store and they deliver clothes to the change room! I bought a wool skirt on sale for $40. Emma also found me a new long black merino cardigan for work at Jeans West, which I'm loving. Holiday purchases are the best. 



Something killed all the trees so the landscape is spooky.


On Thursday we finally got up to Blue Cow. It was a clear blue morning and amazing. I did a first timer's lesson.



After the lesson I went down the Easy Starter with Emma and her mum showing me the places to turn, and that's a lot steeper than the school area, and it has a chair lift, so I fell over a lot. I was OK with the falling, but after about 8, I was too tired to get up anymore. So after lunch I went back to the Pony and just cruised safely to fill in time til the others were finished.

The next day, I had another lesson, got a bit more advice on traversing slowly down hills, practiced on the Pony, and then at the end of the lesson I headed bravely off down the Easy Starter on my own. I did not fall over. I came up on the chair lift and got off it without falling over. This is one of the proudest achievements of my life. It was all really scary. After a rest Emma joined me and we did it another 7 or so times, and I got better and better and had no falls, until the last time I jumped off the chair lift and sat on my skis.

I found a Corroboree frog in the tank at the visitor centre. The lemon cheesecake in the cafe there is very highly recommended by B.


And then back home on Sunday.

No comments: