Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Photo recap: Lovely London.

London stone is a lot paler than I expected, Sydney has warm sandstone whereas London is mostly grey/white stone. Westminster is a bit golden, but Buckingham Palace, Whitehall, and Trafalgar areas are so pale. So the colour scheme of london is quite striking against the pale streets: the bright red buses and phone boxes, the black cabs, black iron fences, green grass. This is St Pauls cathedral, with beautiful buses brightening up the photo. I think every photo in London is improved by a bus.


 Another example, Westminster from the London Eye. No bus, bus. Makes a difference, I think.



Two things I like about a lot of their street design is that they weren't afraid of repetition in architecture, and they appreciate the beauty of the curve. Anything built with curves is a pain compared to just building straight lines, but there was a craze for it in the olden days, and I love it. This is Kensington, then Piccadilly, then some other nice street with lovely red buses.




Speaking of curves, apparently the same man designed the bridge and the phone boxes. So they have the same arch, you can see, under the bridge and on the roof of the phone box.


Finally, things look nice in the rain. This is one of my favourite photos, even though nothing famous is happening. I just like the effect of reflections in composition.


2 comments:

/Karen/ said...

Great pics! I loved your commentary on them too. I hope one day to see London in person!

Jessica said...

Thanks! It was really enjoyable, a life dream. It would have been nice to blog photos as I went but I'm enjoying the recap experience.